Re: ftruncate-mmap: pages are lost after writing to mmaped file.

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Apr 02 2009 - 07:24:50 EST

On Thursday 02 April 2009 09:36:13 Ying Han wrote:
> Hi Jan:
> I feel that the problem you saw is kind of differnt than mine. As
> you mentioned that you saw the PageError() message, which i don't see
> it on my system. I tried you patch(based on 2.6.21) on my system and
> it runs ok for 2 days, Still, since i don't see the same error message
> as you saw, i am not convineced this is the root cause at least for
> our problem. I am still looking into it.
> So, are you seeing the PageError() every time the problem happened?

So I asked if you could test with my workaround of taking truncate_mutex
at the start of ext2_get_blocks, and report back. I never heard of any
response after that.

To reiterate: I was able to reproduce a problem with ext2 (I was testing
on brd to get IO rates high enough to reproduce it quite frequently).
I think I narrowed the problem down to block allocation or inode block
tree corruption because I was unable to reproduce it with that hack in
place.