Re: what is_single_threaded() does?

From: David Howells
Date: Thu Apr 02 2009 - 07:08:45 EST

Oleg Nesterov <oleg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But this is not what the code does? The "t->mm == mm" check below means
> it also returns false if ->mm is shared with another CLONE_VM process ?

It's a matter of defining what is meant by single-threaded, I suppose. For
the purposes of security checks, that means not being part of the same group
of threads and not sharing VM space.

Linux has a very fuzzy view of threads, whereby different tasks can share
different sets of things. In my opinion it's excessive and unnecessary, and
probably mostly unused.

> if (atomic_read(&p->signal->count) != 1)
> goto no;
>
> Is this correct? Let's suppose the main thread dies, and the thread group
> has only one live thread. In that case signal->count == 2.

Doesn't exit() kill the subsidiary threads in such a case? I don't recall.

It appears that the zombie would retain a pointer to p->signal so that
wait_task_zombie() can get stuff out of it - but can wait_task_zombie()
actually access a thread group that still has active threads?

I don't think this is a real problem, at least for the two security users of
it. It is still effectively multithreaded, even though one of the threads is
a zombie, and indeed it would appear the process is busy imploding.

> Why do_each_thread() ? for_each_process() is enough, all sub-threads use
> the same ->mm.

Firstly, that's what the original code that I extract out to this function
did; secondly, it doesn't make much difference: do_each_thread() does the
filtering for us that we'd have to do ourselves if we used for_each_process();
and thirdly, it is neither required nor enforced that all sub-threads use the
same ->mm.

Actually, a better way of doing things may be to use a list of threads rooted
on signal_struct.

> What about use_mm() ? Looks like this needs PF_KTHREAD check.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you suggesting this should use use_mm()? Or
are you suggesting that use_mm() is wrong?

> Perhaps it should be current_is_single_thread(void) ...

Perhaps.