Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: Andreas T.Auer
Date: Thu Apr 02 2009 - 05:58:40 EST

On 02.04.2009 06:55 david@xxxxxxx wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Bron Gondwana wrote:

>>> the problem with this approach is that the dcache has no provision for
>>> there being two (or more) copies of the disk block in it's cache, adding
>>> this would significantly complicate things (it was mentioned briefly a
>>> few days ago in this thread)

I must have missed that message and can't find it.

>> It seems that it's obviously the "right way" to solve the problem
>> though. How much does the dcache need to know about this "in flight"
>> block (ok, blocks - I can imagine a pathological case where there
>> were a stack of them all slightly different in the queue)?
>>

> but if only one filesystem needs this caability is it really worth
> complicating the dcache for the entire system?

No, it's not necessary. It should be possible for the specific fs to
keep the metadata copy internally. And as long as these blocks are
written immediately after writing the data, there should be no "queue"
of copies, depending on how fsyncs are handled while the fs is
committing. There might be one copy for the current commit and (at most)
one copy corresponding to the most recent pending fsync. If there are
multiple fsyncs before the commit is finished, the "pending copy" could
simply be overwritten.

Andreas