Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Wed Apr 01 2009 - 19:44:49 EST

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 12:02:26PM -0400, Chris Mason wrote:

> If we crash during the rsync, the backup logs will yell. If we crash
> just after the rsync, the backup logs won't know. The data could still
> be gone.

So have rsync call the sync() system call before it exits. Not a big
deal, and not all that costly. So basically what I would suggest
doing for people who are really worried about rsync performance with
flush-on-rename is to create a patch to rsync which creates a new
flag, --unlink-before-rename, which will defeat the flush-on-rename
hueristic; and if this patch also causes rsync to call sync() when it
is done, it should be quite safe.

- Ted