Re: 2.6.29 regression: ATA bus errors on resume

From: Niel Lambrechts
Date: Wed Apr 01 2009 - 15:48:31 EST

On 03/30/2009 04:40 PM, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Niel Lambrechts wrote:
>> On 03/30/2009 11:00 AM, Tejun Heo wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> For some reason, I can't find the original thread, so replying here.

>>> Yeap, ext4 is just the victim here.

>>> When libata-eh thinks that the problem isn't worth retrying, it sets
>>> scmd->retries to scmd->allowed so that it gets aborted immediately.
>>> The code is in ata_eh_qc_complete().
>>>
>>> Whether a command is to be retried or not is determined with
>>> ATA_QCFLAG_RETRY which is set in ata_eh_link_autopsy() for each failed
>>> command. Immediate-failure criteria is pretty strict - only driver
>>> software errors (AC_ERR_INVALID) and PC or other special commands
>>> which failed which got aborted by the device get the immediate pink
>>> slip. In this case, the commands are from FS and failed with
>>> AC_ERR_ATA_BUS, so it definitely doesn't fit into the criteria.
>>> Strange.
>>>
>>> How reproducible is the problem? Are you interested in trying out
>>> some debug patches?
>>
>> Hi Tejun,
>>
>> I think I should be able to reproduce when actively using X with 2.6.29,
>> and I have an external disk where I could backup to / boot from if the
>> corruption became a problem.
>>
>> These issues are keeping me from 2.6.29 so I'll gladly help where I can,
>> if you can please provide me the patches and the .config settings that
>> may be required?
>>
>> Niel
>> --
>> linux-kernel" in
>> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
>>

> Any chance you could use bisect to narrow down the problem commit?
>
> http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/v1.4.4.4/howto/isolate-bugs-with-bisect.txt
>

> This should identify which patch caused your problems, if you have a
> known good starting point (such as 2.6.28).
I'm struggling with this - my good kernel is 2.6.28.9 and as far as I
can tell the closest thing good kernel I can tell git to use is 2.6.28
base itself. So now what happens is that resume entirely fails during
some of the bisects due to entirely other regressions that are present
in older and newer kernels than mine, so I can't test the real issue! :(

cheers
Niel