Re: [Patch 00/11] Hardware Breakpoint interfaces

From: Alan Stern
Date: Wed Apr 01 2009 - 12:22:24 EST

That's because such writes wouldn't do any good in the old code! :-)

> The thread-specific thread->debugreg6 is updated with causative bits in
> ptrace_triggered() to help send signals to the user-space. I don't see a
> user for the change you propose.

For each breakpoint where we decide it's a case of lazy DR switching or
we invoke a "triggered" callback, the corresponding bit in dr6 should
be cleared. This is a way of indicating to do_debug() that the handler
has taken care of these causes of the exception.

Similarly, the kprobe routine should clear the single-step bit in dr6
when it handles a single-step exception. When the notifier chain
completes, the only bits remaining in dr6 should be for events that
still need to be handled.

Alan Stern