Re: [patch 4/6] Guest page hinting: writable page table entries.

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Wed Apr 01 2009 - 10:48:24 EST

Martin Schwidefsky wrote:
On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 09:25:34 -0400
Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Martin Schwidefsky wrote:

This code has me stumped. Does it mean that if a page already
has the PageWritable bit set (and count_ok stays 0), we will
always mark the page as volatile?

How does that work out on !s390?

No, we will not always mark the page as volatile. If PG_writable is
already set count_ok will stay 0 and a call to page_make_volatile is
done. This differs from page_set_volatile as it repeats all the
required checks, then calls page_set_volatile with a PageWritable(page)
as second argument. What state the page will get depends on the
architecture definition of page_set_volatile. For s390 this will do a
state transition to potentially volatile as the PG_writable bit is set.
On architecture that cannot check the dirty bit on a physical page basis
you need to make the page stable.

Good point. I guess that means patch 4/6 checks out right, then :)

Acked-by: Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx>

--
All rights reversed.