Re: [Squashfs-devel] Squashfs 4.0 tools

From: Peter Korsgaard
Date: Wed Apr 01 2009 - 07:40:50 EST

>>>>> "Phillip" == Phillip Lougher <phillip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hi,

Phillip> I have thought about adding this option a couple of times,
Phillip> but it has always been dropped through lack of time.
Phillip> Efficiently adding the option isn't as easy as it sounds
Phillip> because the "fake" device nodes have to somehow be made
Phillip> available to the recursive directory scan routine that scans
Phillip> the source directories for files. Adding a list of fake
Phillip> device nodes which is scanned on every directory for
Phillip> potential inclusion in that directory is easy, but not
Phillip> terribly efficient.

The normal solution for this is fakeroot, which is also what we're
using for mksquashfs in buildroot:

http://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/tree/target/squashfs/squashfsroot.mk

Phillip> I'll delay the release of the 4.0 tools and see if I can
Phillip> implement this option in the next day or two.

I would say rather get 4.0 out of the door as soon as possible and
wait with such nice-to-have stuff for later.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard