Re: ftrace not working?

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Mar 23 2009 - 10:32:46 EST

* KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On Monday 23 March 2009 14:05:33 Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > > one thing to note:
> > >
> > > so it's a Qemu session, right?
> > >

> > Yes. qemu-kvm.
>
> Ah, sorry. I don't know qemu and kvm at all ;)

In terms of tracing it should just look like some weird old CPU with
few capabilities and long delays. Nothing in ftrace depends on CPU
capabilities (that wasnt present in pentia) so this is weird.
Perhaps some timestamping problem? Virtual machines tend to have
trouble with the TSC. Or code patching problems? But that does not
explain the lack of explicit scheduler events.

Or perhaps the fact that qemu sessions tend to boot with barely any
RAM. Maybe the ringbuffer size is very low?

Ingo