Re: raid6 grow "hangs" on 2.6.27 with mounted FS

From: roma1390
Date: Mon Mar 23 2009 - 05:07:28 EST

roma1390 wrote:
Neil Brown wrote:
> This will only happen on very small arrays that take less than a
> couple of seconds for the reshape to complete. I have a patch for
> mdadm which makes it more robust in this situation. It will be in
> future releases.
>
> Does this explain what is happening to you?

Yes, thanks. May be if I retest this situation with same kernel and limited recovery bandwith, then may be i can't hit same problem again?

Yes limiting speed also is posible workaround for this problem:

echo 512 > /sys/block/md2/md/sync_speed_min
echo 512 > /sys/block/md2/md/sync_speed_max
mkfs.ext2 /dev/md2
mount /dev/md2 -t ext2 /mnt
mdadm --add /dev/md2 /dev/loop5
mdadm --grow /dev/md2 --raid-devices=5

Bigger values (like 10000) doesn't help.

Thanks.