Re: Test some kernel feature without recompile

From: Dragoslav Zaric
Date: Mon Mar 23 2009 - 04:52:35 EST

Well it looks like I didn't read about "make" command a lot :)
This is what I found :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Once a suitable Makefile exists, each time you change some source
files, this simple shell command:

| make
|
| suffices to perform all necessary recompilations. The make program
uses the makefile data base and
| the last-modification times of the files to decide which of the
files need to be updated. For each of those
| files, it issues the commands recorded in the data base.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this is what I would (will) do if I want to debug, change or add
some kernel feature and don't want to wait a
lot of time every time :) :

Build version of kernel that has minimum modules (and other stuff) to
run your machine (unchecked things in
.config file will decrease time) and when work on some feature, then
add just stuff you wanna debug or
change and then run

make

thanks,