Page Cache writeback too slow, SSD/noop scheduler/ext2

From: Jos Houtman
Date: Fri Mar 20 2009 - 14:32:27 EST

Hi,

We have hit a problem where the page-cache writeback algorithm is not
keeping up.
When memory gets low this will result in very irregular performance drops.

Our setup is as follows:
30 x Quad core machine with 64GB ram.
These are single purpose machines running MySQL.
Kernel version: 2.6.28.7
A dedicated SSD drive for the ext2 database partition
Noop scheduler for the ssd drive.

The current hypothesis is as follows:
The wk_update function does not write enough dirty pages, which allows the
number of dirty pages to grow to the dirty_background limit.
When memory is low, ?background_writeout() comes around and ?forcefully¹
writes dirty pages to disk.
This forced write fills the disk queue and starves read calls that MySQL is
trying to do: basically killing performance for a few seconds.
This pattern repeats as soon as the cleared memory is filled again.

Decreasing the dirty_writeback_centisecs to 100 doesn¹t help

I don¹t know why this is, but I did some preliminary tracing using systemtap
and it seems that the majority of times wk_update calls decides to do
nothing.

Doubling /sys/block/sdb/queue/nr_requests to 256, seems to help abit: the
nr_dirty pages is increasing more slowly.
But I am unsure of side-effects and am afraid of increasing the starvation
problem for mysql.

I¹am very much willing to work on this issue and see it fixed, but would
like to tap into the knowledge of people here.
So:
* Have more people seen this or simular issues?
* Is the hypothesis above a viable one?
* Suggestions/pointers for further research and statistics I should measure
to improve the understanding of this problem.

With regards,

Jos