Re: [tip:core/ipi] generic-ipi: eliminate spurious pointlessWARN_ON()s

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Fri Mar 20 2009 - 05:58:41 EST

Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> writes:

> * Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>> > I also changed all of panic() to be covered by oops_in_progress
>> > - see the other commit. Eric: that should make kexec [a tiny
>> > bit] more robust too, agreed?
>>
>> A tad. We shouldn't have any printk's on that path. But if we do
>> it will keep us from wedging and getting ourselves into trouble.
>
> Ok. Baby steps are what got us from Linux 0.12 to where we are now
> so i'm content with making a tad of progress with each commit ;-)

Our biggest todo item for kexec on panic is to initialize the local
apics early enough in boot so we never need to run in compatibility mode.
Once we get that code working we can remove 50%+ of the kexec on panic
code.

I expect one of these days the apic code will be clean enough to handle
that.

Now back to my regularly scheduled hotunplug challenges starting with
getting lockdep to warn about the dead locks.

Eric