Re: PROBLEM: relay - stale data copied to user space

From: Tom Zanussi
Date: Fri Mar 20 2009 - 01:21:54 EST

Hi,

On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 18:50 +0100, Martin Peschke wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 23:19 -0500, Tom Zanussi wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 16:07 +0100, Martin Peschke wrote
> > > This is my theory:
> > > Timing matters. It's a race caused by improper protection of critical
> > > sections in a producer-consumer scenario. A bug in the bookkeeping
> > > allows a reader to read at a position that is just being written to.
> > >

> > It does look consistent with a reader reading an event that's been
> > reserved but not yet written, or partially written e.g. if an event
> > being written on one cpu was read by another before the first one
> > finished.
>
> So this is part of relay's design, and it's up to user space to make
> sure that reader and writer are on the same CPU?

No, that wasn't originally part of relay's design, but for all practical
purposes that's what you need to do if you're using the read()
interface.

The original design was meant to be used with mmap() and poll() on
complete sub-buffers i.e. you grab complete sub-buffers from the mmaped
buffer only when poll() says they're ready. If used this way, it
doesn't matter which cpu is doing the reading or writing. relay still
works this way if you use mmap() as in e.g. the klog example.

The read() was added later, on top of something that wasn't designed
with it in mind, the main difference being that a read() can be done at
any time and it expects whatever's available to be returned, regardless
of whether it's reading from a complete sub-buffer or not (if you could
only read from complete sub-buffers, you might as well use the mmap()
method).

So if a reader can read from a sub-buffer at any time, and there can
simultaneously be a writer in that sub-buffer, if they're on different
cpus, you can get what you were seeing. One way to prevent that is to
keep the reader on the same cpu, and disable preemption for the writer,
so when the reader on that cpu finally reads, it can be sure there are
no in-progress events up to the endpoint of what it's reading.

Hope that helps,

Tom