Re: [patch 0/5] Intel Poulsbo/Morrestown DRM driver and DRM core changes

From: Sindhudweep Sarkar
Date: Thu Mar 19 2009 - 14:12:36 EST

Of course real support for poulsbo is really important and desirable
since netbooks make such a huge percentage of computer sales these
days. I'm guessing, however, that the number of
embedded/mobile/appliance devices that use or will use the SGX5xx is
much larger than even the plethora of netbooks being pumped out. If
more hardware support can be gained for a little extra burden why not
go for it? I would argue that a unified driver stack would actually
have less maintenance cost since common bugs could be killed. Even
ignoring all the arm devices that will use that graphics core, what
about intel's own use of the SGX 535 elsewhere? Does this "poulsbo"
driver support the intel CE3100 processors?

I think i'm really apprehensive about device specific one-offs. Of
course a mainline driver upstream is an important step to prevent that
but without a roadmap it only seems marginally better.

Best,
Sindhudweep