Re: ftruncate-mmap: pages are lost after writing to mmaped file.

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 18:21:37 EST

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 12:44:08 -0700 Ying Han <yinghan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We triggered the failure during some internal experiment with
> ftruncate/mmap/write/read sequence. And we found that some pages are
> "lost" after writing to the mmaped file. which in the following test
> cases (count >= 0).
>
> First we deployed the test cases into group of machines and see about
> >20% failure rate on average. Then, I did couple of experiment to try
> to reproduce it on a single machine. what i found is that:
> 1. add a fsync after write the file, i can not reproduce this issue.
> 2. add memory pressure(mmap/mlock) while run the test in infinite
> loop, the failure is reproduced quickly. ( background flushing ? )
>
> The "bad pages" count differs each time from one digit to 4,5 digit
> for 128M ftruncated file. and what i also found that the bad page
> number are contiguous for each segment which total bad pages container
> several segments. ext "1-4, 9-20, 48-50" ( batch flushing ? )
>
> (The failure is reproduced based on 2.6.29-rc8, also happened on
> 2.6.18 kernel. . Here is the simple test case to reproduce it with
> memory pressure. )

Thanks. This will be a regression - the testing I did back in the days
when I actually wrote stuff would have picked this up.

Perhaps it is a 2.6.17 thing. Which, IIRC, is when we made the changes to
redirty pages on each write fault. Or maybe it was something else.

Nick, Peter: I'm in .au at preset, not able to build and run kernels - is
this something you'd have time to look into please?

Given the amount of time for which this bug has existed, I guess it isn't a
2.6.29 blocker, but once we've found out the cause we should have a little
post-mortem to work out how a bug of this nature has gone undetected for so
long.