Re: [Patch 2/2] tracepoints for softirq entry/exit - tracepoints

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Mon Mar 16 2009 - 15:28:32 EST

* Steven Rostedt (rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > > By doing so, you are removing the ability to use the TP_FMT information
> > > to perform high-speed system-wide tracing. I thought the goal was to
> > > create a unified buffering, but sadly I don't see the high-speed
> > > requirements being part of that plan.
> >
> > TP_FMT has nothing to do with the unified buffering. The unified buffer
> > does not even know about it. But if you want high-speed event tracing,
> > that is what the TRACE_EVENT was created for.
>
> Here's an example:
>
> The "event tracing" uses the format field to show those events for the
> hook in the sched switching, and wake ups.
>
> The wake up tracer on the other hand, does not care about the format, it
> only cares about having a hook where a a task is woken up, and where it
> gets scheduled in, and perhaps events in between. But it uses its own
> formatting to do the output.
>
> -- Steve

If I understand you correctly, the format string is only useful to the
text-output tracer ? Why can't it be used to identify both text and
binary events ?

And remember that from my perspective, information is only useful if
available for system-wide tracing. Specialized tracers come as a subset
of system-wide tracing anyway when the latter is implemented with the
proper hooks.

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers