Re: smart cache. ist is possible?

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Mon Mar 16 2009 - 11:15:38 EST

Alexey Fisher wrote:
> Hallo all.

Hi,

> I found for my self how great is cache in linux. If read one file from
> disk, so i don't need to do it second time, chace will do the job. It
> speed up thing greatly. But i found it not working with realy big files.
> Like i have 4GB RAM, so if i read a file like 4.6GB, cache won't work.
> Is it possible to have some sort of smart cache wich will read for
> exaplme 1GB from disk and other part from cache?

This is something that depends on the page replacement algorithm. A
different page replacement algorithm might do better and there has been
some work in the past on this.

Check, for instance, this paper on Clock-Pro:

http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/hpcs/WWW/HTML/publications/papers/TR-05-3.pdf

ISTR that Rik van Riel was doing an implementation of this algorithm for
the 2.6 kernel, but I don't remember how that ended up...

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

"God is real, unless declared integer."