Re: [tip:x86/doc] x86/doc: mini-howto for using earlyprintk=dbgp

From: Randy Dunlap
Date: Thu Mar 05 2009 - 18:41:29 EST

Daniel Walker wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 15:19 -0800, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>
>> Do we have a document style guide? The comments in Documentation/CodingStyle
>> apply to documentation text files also, AFAIK. Maybe that needs to be
>> stated explicitly.
>
> I guess you could assume it applies, but I don't think it's content can
> really be applied to Documents.. Since it speaks specifically to code.

OK. Historically we have applied the 80-column rule to text files,
including documentation. But we haven't documented that.

>> As for other docs that don't conform: we typically don't go around just
>> fixing 80-column rule infractions, but when a file is being modified anyway,
>> we prefer that other parts of it also be updated.
>
> I don't have a problem fixing it, but it would be nice to have any other
> rules layed out. Like the "No ascii art rule" (if it exists) or whatever
> other style guidelines there are. For example the 80 line limit can't
> apply to absolutely everything. I mean what about diagrams or /proc
> output samples? Most of that is over 80 (way over).

If you have time to make a proposal for all such rules, please go ahead.
I don't have time for it just now.

Yes, some examples, diagrams, samples, etc. are over 80 columns.
It's not a diehard rule.

And there is no rule against ASCII art AFAIK.

--
~Randy