RE: e1000 is subtly incompatible with jumbo frames

From: Maurice Volaski
Date: Thu Mar 05 2009 - 18:00:08 EST

At 2:38 PM -0800 3/5/09, Brandeburg, Jesse wrote:
Maurice Volaski wrote:
I have a system using the e1000 driver with the MTU set to 9000. If I
try FTP to get a file, the transfer does not start. Something about
the 9000 MTU is preventing the NIC from receiving packets back from
the FTP server. (The FTP server is on the same subnet and its NIC
also has MTU 9000.) The 9000 MTU NIC works fine in every other
respect, even allowing me to access the system via ssh. When I change
the MTU to 1500, then FTP works fine. The problem is common to
numerous kernel versions including 2.6.24 through 2.6.29-rc5.

This sounds like you have not configured the MTU the same on both ends
or some station in between is having issues with the large packets

please double check your configuration.

Oh, sorry to trouble you, but I got tricked. I've been testing systems under VMWare Fusion on my Mac and it doesn't support jumbo frames. I got tricked because the identical OS running on real hardware was behaving identically, but the new switch it's connecting to had jumbo frames turned off, so naturally it shows the same problem. With jumbo frames turned on, it's now transferring fine.

At least anyone now if anyone else has an odd problem with FTP, they'll know to what to check.
--

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@xxxxxxxxxxxx