Re: [Orinoco-users] linux-firmware binary corruption with gitweb

From: Pavel Roskin
Date: Thu Mar 05 2009 - 12:26:41 EST

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 23:52 +0000, Dave wrote:
> binmode STDOUT, ':raw';
> - print <$fd>;
> + #print <$fd>;
> + $output .= <$fd>;
> binmode STDOUT, ':utf8'; # as set at the beginning of
> gitweb.cgi

Nice catch!

Looking at the gitweb repository from kernel.org, two instances of
circumventing binmode were introduced by this commit:

commit c79ae555fb3c89d91b4cafbfce306e695720507b
Author: John Hawley <warthog9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu Dec 28 21:59:43 2006 -0800

Last of the changes to deal with channeling the text through the caching
engine. Wow is this a total hack.

The original behavior was restored in git_snapshot() by the recent
commit c15229acd9bedf165f1eb05d99fa989d3b9f3e32, but git_blob_plain()
remains broken.

I don't see an easy fix. We cannot manipulate the blob to counteract
the encoding, as it may not be valid utf-8, and therefore won't be
output in the utf-8 mode.

Maybe binmode should be raw everywhere, and adding to $output should
recode data to utf-8 from other encodings where needed, but it would be
a massive patch, I'm afraid. Or it would be a small patch requiring
massive testing.

Adding John Hawley to cc:

--
Regards,