Re: [patch 2/2] slub: enforce cpuset restrictions for cpu slabs

From: David Rientjes
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 16:36:06 EST

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> SLUB is also "dismissing" lots of other NUMA locality requirements since
> it relies on the page allocators for this. SLUB does *not* realize memory
> policy and/or cpuset support for individual objects.

Right, and this patch adds that.

> NUMA locality is
> implemented only (aside from explicit requests of memory from a
> certain node) when slab page allocations are performed.

Yes, that is the current implementation.

For systems that use multiple cpusets, this allows objects for a task to
be allocated on its assigned cpuset node(s); the only reasonable use case
would be for memory isolation and/or NUMA optimizations.

Unfortunately, we can't add a slab hardwall flag to the cpuset to
configure this behavior since that would require locking to dereference
in the fastpath.