Re: lockdep and threaded IRQs (was: ...)

From: Alan Cox
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 06:14:26 EST

> Hm, that reads like the boot IRQ erratas of certain chipsets -
> the APIC could throw a fit essentially locking up the system.
> FYI, we have fixes for that upstream already.

Good - certainly it used to be the case that masking APIC IRQs and
leaving them masked from the IRQ handled used to do funny things
sometimes.

> i think you severely over-estimate the importance and ratio of
> drivers that enable irqs within irq handlers. (Nor does anyone
> want to break them really - we want to have a sane default and
> we want to flag the broken cases as broken.)

IDE. A lot less people use the IDE stack nowdays but its a big item and
getting it wrong tends to eat your files.

I do object to the attitude shown about "forcing" people. It's a
community project built by a large number of people on a mix of
pragmatic and elegant design balances. Maybe it's just unfortunate choice
of wording but it is the wrong sentiment.