Elaboration on "Equivalent fix must already exist in Linus' tree"

From: Luis R. Rodriguez
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 00:43:39 EST

While extending the documentation for submitting Linux wireless bug
reports [1] we note the stable series policy on patches -- that of
having an equivalent fix already in Linus' tree. I find this
documented in Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt but I'm curious if
there is any other resource which documents this or elaborates on this
a bit more. I often tell people about this rule or push _really_ hard
on testing "upstream" but some people tend to not understand. I think
that elaborating a little on this can help and will hopefully create
more awareness around the importance of trees like Stephen's
linux-next tree.

[1] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/Reporting_bugs
[2] git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git

Luis