Re: [patch] x86, mm: pass in 'total' to __copy_from_user_*nocache()

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sat Feb 28 2009 - 20:38:31 EST

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 02:48:22 +0100
Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > the entire point of using movntq and friends was to save half the
>
> I thought the point was to not pollute caches? At least that is
> what I remember being told when I merged the patch.

the reason that movntq and co are faster is because you avoid the
write-allocate behavior of the caches....

the cache polluting part of it I find hard to buy for general use (as
this discussion shows)... that will be extremely hard to measure as
a real huge thing, while the WA part is like a 1.5x to 2x thing.

visit http://www.lesswatts.org