Kernel panic with 2.6.28.x

From: Oliver Martin
Date: Sat Feb 28 2009 - 09:42:22 EST

Hello,

I've had two kernel panics in a row now with 2.6.28.x on my router/file
server box. The first happened yesterday when copying a bunch of stuff
from an md array to an eSATA disk with ntfs-3g. I compiled 2.6.28.7 and
restarted the copy and everything went well, when I went to bed the
system was still up and running. The NTFS file system wasn't even
mounted any more, but the HDD was still plugged in. When I woke up
today, it had panicked again.

The hardware is an old laptop with a Pentium M and an i845 chipset. The
md array I mentioned is a somewhat frightening combination of LVM on MD
(raid5) on 3xUSB + 1xFirewire disks. It normally works well, though.
The eSATA controller is a sil3512-based PCMCIA card, and normally isn't
plugged in.

The eSATA card (and the attached HDD) is the only thing that was
different from the perfectly stable normal configuration when the
panics happened. The part of the backtrace I could see
(http://volatilevoid.net/kernelpanic.jpg) mentioned some scsi
functions; could it be the culprit? Unfortunately, I don't have any