Re: [patch 5/7] make netfilter use strict integer types

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Feb 25 2009 - 20:09:44 EST

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Thursday 2009-02-26 01:14, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
[...]
IMHO, __uXX should be replaced by uintX_t, but a move this great I
will leave to future generations because there is just too much
persisting opinions wrt. such proposal. As such I'd like to join
and persist on my position and that uintX that we have should be kept.
We *CAN'T* replace __uXX with uintX_t. Period, full stop, end of story.

Would the mindful master please elaborate why this is so, if it is
indeed not a personal decision.

POSIX has strict rules as to what symbols you are allowed to present into the user-visible namespace. This means you can't use these types for any header that may be indirectly included.

Since we can't use them in general, it's silly to use them for a minority of headers, which would then have different exposure rules than people otherwise can expect.

-hpa