Re: [patch 0/7] Use strict kernel types to fix the world

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Feb 25 2009 - 19:33:59 EST

Arnd Bergmann wrote:
On Thursday 26 February 2009, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
I split out netfilter, DRM and MTD, because of both
size and potentially controversial changes.
I take it this supercedes your previous monolithic patch?

Patch 1/7 supercedes my previous patch and is still as monolithic,
except for the separate 6/7 hunk. I only split the integer type
patches by subsystem, but I did these from scratch now.

Patch 7/7 is a new one, based on your input from the last time
we discussed it.

6/7 we already had in -tip, apparently.

I'm really of two minds regarding the patches that replace pure data types (2/7-5/7). Part of me thinks it would be better to do this via a script in make headers_install, but another part of me thinks that that is a recipe for missing includes.

However, if subsystem maintainers are sharing headers with other platforms, it's probably the only sane road to go.

-hpa