Re: [rfc] headers_check cleanups break the whole world

From: Kyle McMartin
Date: Wed Feb 25 2009 - 02:05:38 EST

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 07:56:32AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> Note that if user-space is "playing utterly stupid games", it
> can cause trouble no matter what scheme we pick - so we have to
> filter out the reasonable problems that we should and can fix in
> the kernel.

Yeah, sorry, I should have been clearer, libcap does stupid
#define _LINUX_TYPES_H_
typedef unsigned int __u32;
#include <linux/header.h>

Which is just horribly broken when it's included early in a file and
then we try to #include <asm/sigcontext.h> (and doesn't get the rest
of those types since it now includes <linux/types.h> instead of
<asm/types.h>) (coreutils was doing this.)

The real case is something like using the dvb headers, which legitimately
is trying to include both <sys/*.h> and then <linux/dvb/*.h> and expecting
it to work.

The footnote in the prior mail was really just an example of why not
having just the plain __u32 et al types in their own header.

regards, Kyle