Re: [Bug #12337] ~100 extra wakeups reported by powertop

From: Alberto Gonzalez
Date: Tue Feb 24 2009 - 08:50:45 EST

--- On Tue, 2/24/09, Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I really wish I could do more, but learning to compile
> a custom kernel for
> > my hardware and do a git bisect is something I just
> can't afford now. If
> > relevant people try to reproduce it but can't, and
> say only possible
> > solution would be for me to bisect it I guess I could
> try to give it a go
> > when I get some spare time.
>
> Fair enough. Reporting a problem is always very
> appreciated.
>
> Pinging Eric and Jesse ;)

Thank you Nick.

Since Arch Linux is not popular among kernel developers I just tested Fedora 10 Live-CD (KDE) and I can reproduce the exact same problem, even if Fedora 10 has kernel 2.6.27 and for me the problem appeared in .28 (but I guess Fedora adds many patches, so probably the "guilty" commit was backported to 2.6.27.5-117-FC10-i686).

Steps:
- Boot into Fedora 10 Live CD (obviously, into the default graphical mode)
- Install Powertop (yum install powertop) and run it
- I get about 60 wakeups per second from i915@xxxxxxx leaving the system idle
- Switch to console and back to X. The wakeups are gone.

I hope that helps.