Acer Aspire One fan control

From: Peter Feuerer
Date: Thu Feb 12 2009 - 15:44:36 EST

Hi list,

I own such an Acer Aspire One netbook and the noisy fan annoyed me. (The default hardware controlled fan is on all the time). So I wrote a small kernel module which monitors the temperature of the cpu and turns the fan on and off. After testing it a while on my and some of my friends netbooks, it seems to be stable and I thought about submitting this functionality to the mainline kernel. As this is my first time, I've got some questions and would really appreciate any help.

Do you think it makes sense to add it as seperate kernelmodule or should I patch another module, e.g. the drivers/misc/acer-wmi.c module?
Should I try also to add the functionality of the /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/* things in my first patch? Or just submit the general functionality for controlling the fan and add additional things step by step?

kind regards, and many thanks for your answers.
--peter