Re: cpu frequency maximized even for a niced job w/ v2.6.29-rc3

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sat Feb 07 2009 - 14:55:35 EST

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 11:30:10 +0100
Toralf FÃrster <toralf.foerster@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm wondering, why my ThinkPad T41 goes from 600 MHz to 1.7 GHz if I
> run this job :
>
> $> while [[ true ]]; do nice -3 factor 273244676154386297; done
>
> under v2.6.29-rc3-562-geda58a8.
>
> Former version stays at min frequency (600 MHz).

The kernel has defaulted to this for I think a really long time;
maybe your "former version" was a distribution kernel with patches?

Either way this is a simple tunable in sysfs; and to be honest,
going to the full speed is very often the right behavior so as a
default it is quite sane...

visit http://www.lesswatts.org