Re: pud_bad vs pud_bad

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Feb 05 2009 - 14:50:05 EST

* Hugh Dickins <hugh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > * Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Well, its stricter. But I don't really understand what condition its
> > > actually testing for.
> >
> > Well it tests: "beyond the bits covered by PTE_PFN|_PAGE_USER, the rest
> > must only be _KERNPG_TABLE".
> >
> > The _KERNPG_TABLE bits are disjunct from PTE_PFN|_PAGE_USER bits, so this
> > makes sense.
> >
> > But the 32-bit check does the exact same thing but via a single binary
> > operation: it checks whether any bits outside of those bits are zero -
> > just via a simpler test that compiles to more compact code.
>
> Simpler and more compact, but not as strict: in particular, a value of
> 0 or 1 is identified as bad by that 64-bit test, but not by the 32-bit.

yes, indeed you are right - the 64-bit test does not allow the KERNPG_TABLE
bits to go zero.

Those are the present, rw, accessed and dirty bits. Do they really matter
that much? If a toplevel entry goes !present or readonly, we notice that
_fast_, without any checks. If it goes !access or !dirty - does that matter?

These checks are done all the time, and even a single instruction can count.
The bits that are checked are enough to notice random memory corruption.

( albeit these days with large RAM sizes pagetable corruption is quite rare
and only happens if it's specifically corrupting the pagetable - and then
it's not just a single bit. Most of the memory corruption goes into the
pagecache. )

Ingo