Suggestions for debugging ata_piix and ahci driver failures on Xen pv_ops dom0 kernel (2.6.29-rcX)

From: Pasi Kärkkäinen
Date: Thu Feb 05 2009 - 03:28:57 EST

Hello!

I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with the pv_ops dom0 kernel/patches [1]
causing at least ata_piix and ahci drivers to fail to work.

There was legacy IRQ enabling problem earlier with the pv_ops dom0 patches,
which pretty much prevented the disks from being detected.. but that got fixed.
It could still be something related to Xen/dom0 irq handling..

I'd be glad if someone could take a look at this 2.6.29-rc3-tip pv_ops dom0 kernel boot log
and comment about _possible_ causes for such behaviour of ata_piix and ahci:

http://pasik.reaktio.net/xen/pv_ops-dom0-debug/pv_ops-dom0-bootlog-11-xen331-linux-2.6.29-rc3-atadebug3.txt

In that testing box I have just one IDE hdd attached to ata_piix controller, the AHCI controller doesn't
have any disks attached.

The exact same kernel works OK without problems on baremetal without Xen
hypervisor.

[1] http://xenbits.xen.org/paravirt_ops/patches.hg/ and
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

-- Pasi