Re: devpts multiple instances feedback

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Sun Feb 01 2009 - 11:32:17 EST

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 01:58:58PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> >>
> >>That was also one of the reasons for the default 000 mode on the pts/ptmx
> >>device node
> >
> >So just make it 000 but always created it.
> >

> That's what we do...

Only if the kernel is compiled with CONFIG_DEVPTS_MULTIPLE_INSTANCES
(which will be clearly superflous after the cleanup patches because
the amount of addition code is minimal) _and_ you mount with
-o newinstance, and then you have another -o ptmxmode=foo option
to make it useable.

Really, even if we're really cautious there should be no compiletime
and just a single mount time option, but I'm not even sure that is
needed with the default zero mode.