Re: 2.6.29-rc3+git macbook pro1,1 garbled display on resume

From: Justin P. Mattock
Date: Sat Jan 31 2009 - 08:25:08 EST

Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 22:44 -0800, Justin P. Mattock wrote:
Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
Hi,

the macbook pro suspends just fine, but even though the machine returns
to X I see on resume some random garbled output but can still move the
mouse cursor (which is OK!) and using the keyboard successfully adjust
the brightness of the display.
[...]
Same here with jaunty i.g.
one week it worked then the next it didn't.
maybe disabling hotplug with xorg.conf
might make the keys work.

I recognized that everything seems to work just fine *on console only*.
At least I could suspend and resume via s2ram >3 times in a row.

What also worked was to just start plain X (no window manager or
anything) and suspend/resume then. However with compiz running I am
seeing the garbage/hang on resume.

Are you by chance to having an ATI card + use a compositing window
manager?

Soeren

At the moment I don't have compiz manager
running, only fluxbox. But after thinking,
I did experience this(choppy screen)when using kexec,
i.g. starting a new kernel from a terminal inside the xserver
did create a messed up screen. Then(ctl+alt+del)disabling
the xserver, made things work the way they were supposed too.

I am running radeon on a macbook pro. If I can remember
at the time I was using kexec I did have radeon.(I'll try and reproduce this though).
In any case I think this is an xserver issue not a kernel(but thats just a guess).
I added a cc (hopefully it's the right one);

regards;

Justin P. Mattock