Re: RFC: running out of x86 boot loader IDs

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Jan 29 2009 - 19:38:46 EST

Mikael Pettersson wrote:
Why do we need a boot loader id at all? The purpose of a boot loader,
whatever it may be, is to load the kernel according to certain protocols.
Once that's done, why would the kernel care who/what loaded it?

A couple of reasons...

a) Bugs happen. Sometimes bugs are latent, and we later find ourselves
in an unenviable position of not being able to work around a problem
unless we know that we were loaded by <loader X> with <problem Y>.
b) Distro installers or other distro components sometimes find this
useful.

-hpa