Re: x86: unify genapic code, unify subarchitectures, remove old subarchitecture code

From: Tim Pepper
Date: Thu Jan 29 2009 - 17:58:43 EST

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> At this point there's no technical need to kill it - it's a zero-overhead
> thing tucked away into a single .c module in arch/x86/kernel/numaq_32.c. I
> even consolidated most of its headers in that file, to reduce its cross
> section.

Wish we'd have piped up earlier to save you a bit of work.

> So two days ago it might have made some sense to rip out this code - now
> there's no pressing need really. We can remove it in a few years once the
> last beep has been received from those platforms. The numaq code is now
> quite similar to an old driver in drivers/* - there's no real downside
> from having it around.

We can make the NUMAQ's beep still, if not boot. :)

Reality is they're just not worth the effort any more and there's no
sign of anybody else having them. Assuming your code goes in for
2.6.30 it'll be easy to drop NUMAQ support. Even if there's not much
downside there's also not much reason to leave it in but marked
deprecated/broken.

Tim