Re: [patch 1/2] epoll fix own poll()

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Jan 29 2009 - 13:27:48 EST

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:16:31 -0800 (PST) Davide Libenzi <davidel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> > > fs/eventpoll.c | 510 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------------------------
> > > 1 file changed, 304 insertions(+), 206 deletions(-)
> >
> > Holy cow man, this patch is HUGE! I don't have a clue what it does nor
> > how it does it. I'd be somewhat scared to merge it into 2.6.29. How
> > serious is this bug?
>
> It is a 3 in a scale of 5. The reason the patch is HUGE is because the
> epoll ->poll() code now has to perform an operation similar to what was
> performing in epoll_wait(), and under the same constraints (check out for
> recursions and too long nesting chains) that were checked in the wakeups.
> So instead of duplicating the code, I made the two core operations such
> that they get a function pointer for the core operation they have to
> perform. That required some code movement.

But which kernel version are you looking to get this merged into?

> You always confuse me with your comments. Before you comment, then you
> merge w/out giving me time to change.

yeah, I often do that. If I see nothing fatal in the patch I'll merge
it so that it gets a bit of testing and so that it doesn't get
forgotten about. Especially if it's a bugfix.

Sometimes I'll send a reply and the originator goes to sleep for weeks,
and stuff could even get lost. I hate losing stuff. I'll mark the patch
as "needs an update" in the series file so I don't accidentally merge it
upstream.

> Would you like the updated patches?

Sure, when convenient.