PFs on pages pinned with get_user_pages()

From: Frank Mehnert
Date: Thu Jan 29 2009 - 03:15:36 EST

Hi,

please could someone explain me under which circumstances a pagefault,
either generated from kernel code or from userland code, can occur on
pages which are pinned with get_user_pages()?

So far my understanding was that this can _never_ happen but I seems to
be wrong. Under high memory pressure I get PFs on such pages raised from
kernel code and the PFs are handled by do_swap_page(). When this happens,
page_count is 3 but page_mapped() returns false.

Thanks in advance,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert Sun Microsystems http://www.sun.com/