Re: [BUG] mlocked page counter mismatch

From: Lee Schermerhorn
Date: Wed Jan 28 2009 - 20:49:19 EST

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 08:55 +0900, MinChan Kim wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:33:52AM -0500, Lee Schermerhorn wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 19:28 +0900, MinChan Kim wrote:
> > > After executing following program, 'cat /proc/meminfo' shows
> > > following result.
> > >
> > > --
> > > # cat /proc/meminfo
> > > ..
> > > Unevictable: 8 kB
> > > Mlocked: 8 kB
> > > ..
> >
> > Sorry, from your description, I can't understand what the problem is.
> > Are you saying that 8kB [2 pages] remains locked after you run your
> > test?
>
> Yes.
> Sorry. My explanation was not enought.
>

> > What did meminfo show before running the test program? And what kernel
> > version?
>
> The meminfo showed mlocked, unevictable pages was zero.
> My kernel version is 2.6.29-rc2.

OK, thanks.

> > > -- test program --
> > >
> > > #include <stdio.h>
> > > #include <sys/mman.h>
> > > int main()
> > > {
> > > char buf[64] = {0,};
> > > char *ptr;
> > > int k;
> > > int i,j;
> > > int x,y;
> > > mlockall(MCL_CURRENT);
> > > sprintf(buf, "cat /proc/%d/maps", getpid());
> > > system(buf);
> > > return 0;
> > > }
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > It seems mlocked page counter have a problem.
> > > After I diged in source, I found that try_to_unmap_file called
> > > try_to_mlock_page about shared mapping pages
> > > since other vma had VM_LOCKED flag.
> > > After all, try_to_mlock_page called mlock_vma_page.
> > > so, mlocked counter increased
> >
> > This path of try_to_unmap_file() -> try_to_mlock_page() should only be
> > invoked during reclaim--from shrink_page_list(). [try_to_unmap() is
> > also called from page migration, but in this case, try_to_unmap_one()
> > won't return SWAP_MLOCK so we don't call try_to_mlock_page().] Unless
> > your system is in continuous reclaim, I don't think you'd hit this
> > during your test program.
>
> My system was not reclaim mode. It could be called following path.
> exit_mmap -> munlock_vma_pages_all->munlock_vma_page->try_to_munlock->
> try_to_unmap_file->try_to_mlock_page

Ah. Yes. Well, try_to_mlock_page() should only call mlock_vma_page()
if some other vma that maps the pages is VM_LOCKED. The vma in the task
calling try_to_munlock() should have already cleared VM_LOCKED for the
vma. However, we need to ensure that the page is actually mapped in the
address range of any VM_LOCKED vma. I recall that Rik discovered this
back during testing and fixed it, but perhaps it was another path.

Looks at code again....

I think I see it. In try_to_unmap_anon(), called from try_to_munlock(),
we have:

list_for_each_entry(vma, &anon_vma->head, anon_vma_node) {
if (MLOCK_PAGES && unlikely(unlock)) {
if (!((vma->vm_flags & VM_LOCKED) &&
!!! should be '||' ? ^^
page_mapped_in_vma(page, vma)))
continue; /* must visit all unlocked vmas */
ret = SWAP_MLOCK; /* saw at least one mlocked vma */
} else {
ret = try_to_unmap_one(page, vma, migration);
if (ret == SWAP_FAIL || !page_mapped(page))
break;
}
if (ret == SWAP_MLOCK) {
mlocked = try_to_mlock_page(page, vma);
if (mlocked)
break; /* stop if actually mlocked page */
}
}

or that clause [under if (MLOCK_PAGES && unlikely(unlock))]
might be clearer as:

if ((vma->vm_flags & VM_LOCKED) && page_mapped_in_vma(page, vma))
ret = SWAP_MLOCK; /* saw at least one mlocked vma */
else
continue; /* must visit all unlocked vmas */

Do you agree?

And, I wonder if we need a similar check for
page_mapped_in_vma(page, vma) up in try_to_unmap_one()?

> > > But, After I called munlockall intentionally, the counter work well.
> > > In case of munlockall, we already had a mmap_sem about write.
> > > Such a case, try_to_mlock_page can't call mlock_vma_page.
> > > so, mlocked counter didn't increased.
> > > As a result, the counter seems to be work well but I think
> > > it also have a problem.
> >
> > I THINK this is a artifact of the way stats are accumulated in per cpu
> > differential counters and pushed to the zone state accumulators when a
> > threshold is reached. I've seen this condition before, but it
> > eventually clears itself as the stats get pushed to the zone state.
> > Still, it bears more investigation, as it's been a while since I worked
> > on this and some subsequent fixes could have broken it:
>
> Hmm... My test result is as follow.
>
> 1) without munlockall
> before:
>
> root@barrios-target-linux:~# tail -8 /proc/vmstat
> unevictable_pgs_culled 0
> unevictable_pgs_scanned 0
> unevictable_pgs_rescued 0
> unevictable_pgs_mlocked 0
> unevictable_pgs_munlocked 0
> unevictable_pgs_cleared 0
> unevictable_pgs_stranded 0
> unevictable_pgs_mlockfreed 0
>
> root@barrios-target-linux:~# cat /proc/meminfo | egrep 'Mlo|Unev'
> Unevictable: 0 kB
> Mlocked: 0 kB
>
> after:
> root@barrios-target-linux:~# tail -8 /proc/vmstat
> unevictable_pgs_culled 369
> unevictable_pgs_scanned 0
> unevictable_pgs_rescued 388
> unevictable_pgs_mlocked 392
> unevictable_pgs_munlocked 387
> unevictable_pgs_cleared 1

this looks like either some task forked and COWed an anon page--perhaps
a stack page--or truncated a mlocked, mmaped file.

> unevictable_pgs_stranded 0
> unevictable_pgs_mlockfreed 0
>
> root@barrios-target-linux:~# cat /proc/meminfo | egrep 'Mlo|Unev'
> Unevictable: 8 kB
> Mlocked: 8 kB
>
> after dropping cache
>
> root@barrios-target-linux:~# cat /proc/meminfo | egrep 'Mlo|Unev'
> Unevictable: 4 kB
> Mlocked: 4 kB

Same effect I was seeing. Two extra mlock counts until we drop cache.
Then only 1. Interesting.

> 2) with munlockall
>
> barrios-target@barrios-target-linux:~$ tail -8 /proc/vmstat
> unevictable_pgs_culled 0
> unevictable_pgs_scanned 0
> unevictable_pgs_rescued 0
> unevictable_pgs_mlocked 0
> unevictable_pgs_munlocked 0
> unevictable_pgs_cleared 0
> unevictable_pgs_stranded 0
> unevictable_pgs_mlockfreed 0
>
> barrios-target@barrios-target-linux:~$ cat /proc/meminfo | egrep 'Mlo|Unev'
> Unevictable: 0 kB
> Mlocked: 0 kB
>
> after
>

> root@barrios-target-linux:~# tail -8 /proc/vmstat
> unevictable_pgs_culled 369
> unevictable_pgs_scanned 0
> unevictable_pgs_rescued 389
> unevictable_pgs_mlocked 389
> unevictable_pgs_munlocked 389
> unevictable_pgs_cleared 0
> unevictable_pgs_stranded 0
> unevictable_pgs_mlockfreed 0
>
> root@barrios-target-linux:~# cat /proc/meminfo | egrep 'Mlo|Unev'
> Unevictable: 0 kB
> Mlocked: 0 kB
>
> Both tests have to show same result.
> But is didn't.
>
> I think it's not per-cpu problem.
>
> When I digged in the source, I found that.
> In case of test without munlockall, try_to_unmap_file calls try_to_mlock_page

This I don't understand. exit_mmap() calls munlock_vma_pages_all() for
all VM_LOCKED vmas. This should have the same effect as calling
mlock_fixup() without VM_LOCKED flags, which munlockall() does.

> since some pages are mapped several vmas(I don't know why that pages is shared
> other vma in same process.

Isn't necessarily in the same task. We're traversing the list of vma's
associated with a single anon_vma. This includes all ancestors and
descendants that haven't exec'd. Of course, I don't see a fork() in
either of your test programs, so I don't know what's happening.

> One of page which i have seen is test program's
> first code page[page->index : 0 vma->vm_pgoff : 0]. It was mapped by data vma, too).
> Other vma have VM_LOCKED.
> So try_to_unmap_file calls try_to_mlock_page. Then, After calling
> successful down_read_try_lock call, mlock_vma_page increased mlocked
> counter again.
>
> In case of test with munlockall, try_to_mlock_page's down_read_trylock
> couldn't be sucessful. That's because munlockall called down_write.
> At result, try_to_mlock_page cannot call try_to_mlock_page. so, mlocked counter
> don't increased. I think it's not right.
> But fortunately Mlocked number is right. :(

I'll try with your 2nd test program [sent via separate mail] and try the
fix above. I also want to understand the difference between exit_mmap()
for a task that called mlockall() and the munlockall() case.

Regards,
Lee