Re: [patch 016/104] epoll: introduce resource usage limits

From: Chris Adams
Date: Wed Jan 28 2009 - 16:47:16 EST

Once upon a time, Davide Libenzi <davidel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>I already gave you my opinion on such code. There is no need for it. If
>your servers are loaded, in the same way you bump NFILES (and likely
>even other default configs), you bump up max_user_instances:

The flip side of that is this could just be added to the list of limits
you set on a multi-user system if you don't want $LUSER to DoS your
server (such as max procs, cpu time, virtual memory, etc.). I don't
think this is a security issue on single-user systems or servers with
only privileged access.

Admins of multi-user systems are used to having to manage limits (see
pam_limits for example). Admins of single-user or privileged servers
(e.g. mail or non-shared web servers) are not for the most part (postfix
doesn't open 1025 files in a single process).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>