Re: [LLVMdev] inline asm semantics: output constraint width smaller than input

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Jan 28 2009 - 12:29:59 EST

Kyle Moffett wrote:

> Even in the 64-bit-integer on 32-bit-CPU case, you still end up with
> the lower 32-bits in a standard integer GPR, and it's trivial to just
> ignore the "upper" register. You also would not need to do any kind
> of bit-shift, so long as your inline assembly initializes both GPRs
> and puts the halves of the result where they belong.

In this case, we're talking about what happens when the assembly takes a
64-bit input operand in the same register as a 32-bit output operand
(with a "0" constraint.) Is the output operand the same register number
as the high register or the low register? On an LE machine the answer
is trivial and obvious -- the low register; on a BE machine both
interpretations are possible (I actually suspect gcc will assign the
high register, just based on how gcc internals work in this case.)

-hpa