Re: since 2.6.29-rc: apple infrared keeps system awake?

From: Johannes Berg
Date: Wed Jan 28 2009 - 05:58:19 EST

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 14:18 +0100, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Johannes Berg wrote:
>
> > Is it possible that I was just in an environment where there was lots of
> > random infrared traffic that the device picked up? Is it possible to
> > disable it completely?
>
> Well, you can always unbind the driver from the device, I guess that
> should shut it up.

Ok, I'll have to write a script for that or something ;)

> But I'd like to understand why this started happening all of a sudden. Are
> you able to reproduce this easily?

I've watched this issue some more over the last couple of days, and it
seems that it's not (at least not only) related to the kernel version,
2.6.29-rc2 is behaving just fine right now for me. I'm almost ready to
blame it only on the environment, though I don't know why a few places
at university would have so much infrared signal that the device felt a
need to react to them all the time.

I'll try to see whether it happens there with an older kernel too, in
which case I'll just blame it on the environment and disable the device
(well, I guess I want that anyway lest someone actually tries to use the
IR when I'm somewhere with my laptop)

johannes