Re: [RFC] per-CPU cryptd thread implementation based on workqueue

From: Herbert Xu
Date: Tue Jan 27 2009 - 22:54:54 EST

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:07:06PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > +int cryptd_enqueue_request(struct cryptd_queue *queue,
> > + struct crypto_async_request *request)
> > +{
> > + int cpu, err, queued;
> > + struct cryptd_cpu_queue *cpu_queue;
> > +
> > + cpu = get_cpu();
> > + cpu_queue = per_cpu_ptr(queue->cpu_queue, cpu);
> > + spin_lock_bh(&cpu_queue->lock);
> > + err = crypto_enqueue_request(&cpu_queue->queue, request);
> > + spin_unlock_bh(&cpu_queue->lock);
> > + /* INUSE should be set after queue->qlen assigned, but
> > + * spin_unlock_bh imply a memory barrior already */
> > + if (!test_and_set_bit_lock(CRYPTD_STATE_INUSE, &cpu_queue->state)) {
> > + queued = queue_work(kcrypto_wq, &cpu_queue->work);
> > + BUG_ON(!queued);
> > + }
>
> Do we actually need to use CRYPTD_STATE_INUSE here? The
> WORK_STRUCT_PENDING handling in the workqueue does basically the same
> thing?

Indeed, the INUSE stuff looks vestigial and can probably be removed.

> > +{
> > + int cpu, in_queue;
> > + struct cryptd_cpu_queue *cpu_queue;
> > +
> > + for_each_possible_cpu(cpu) {
> > + cpu_queue = per_cpu_ptr(queue->cpu_queue, cpu);
> > + spin_lock_bh(&cpu_queue->lock);
> > + in_queue = crypto_tfm_in_queue(&cpu_queue->queue, tfm);
> > + spin_unlock_bh(&cpu_queue->lock);
> > + if (in_queue)
> > + return 1;
> > + }
> > + return 0;
> > +}
>
> Did you consider using for_each_online_cpu() and implementing CPU
> hotplug? There might be situations where the number of possible CPUs
> is much greater than the number of online CPUs.

This is one of those things that just keeps changing. Once upon a
time I'd write code with CPU hotplug triggers and such and someone
would always come through to change them to for_each_possible_cpu
in the name of simplification :)

But yeah I personally still prefer the hotplug way, so no objections
from me.

Thanks for reviewing Andrew!