Re: [2.6.29-rc2-git2] compilation warnings

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Jan 27 2009 - 06:16:48 EST

* Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> At Tue, 27 Jan 2009 09:46:28 +0100,
> Jean Delvare wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:32:17 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > A bogus warning. Ignore this.
> >
> > No matter how bogus it is, it should be fixed. Otherwise this is
> > wasting the time of users and developers over and over again.
>
> Well, it's a bug of gcc appearing only in a certain version, so most
> people won't see it.
>
> Of course, we can put uninitialized_var(). But, I don't basically like
> adding it unconditionally...

People will again and again look at this warning and waste time deciding
that "it's a bogus warning" or even report it. As time goes on does the
human cost get larger, linearly.

Furthermore, if everyone in the kernel behaves like that we'll literally
have dozens (even hundreds) of build warnings that might be bogus but
which also obscure other, real warnings by their sheer mass.

The cost of you adding a oneliner annotation is miniscule compared to that
and it is a one-time effort. We already spent more energy on discussing
this than it would have taken you to annotate it. Please.

Ingo