Re: care and feeding of netperf (Re: Mainline kernel OLTP performanceupdate)

From: Rick Jones
Date: Mon Jan 26 2009 - 13:26:39 EST

To get quick profiles, that form of aggregate netperf is OK - just the one iteration with background processes using a moderatly long run time. However, for result reporting, it is best to (ab)use the confidence intervals functionality to try to avoid skew errors.

Yes. My formal testing uses -i 50. I just wanted a quick testing. If I need
finer-tuning or investigation, I would turn on more options.

Netperf will silently clip that to 30 as that is all the built-in tables know.

Thanks again. I learned a lot.

Feel free to wander over to netperf-talk over at netperf.org if you want to talk some more about the care and feeding of netperf.

happy benchmarking,

rick jones