Re: Spamming linux-kernel and linux-scsi by out-of-tree patches(LIO)

From: James Bottomley
Date: Mon Jan 26 2009 - 10:37:34 EST

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 16:17 +0300, Vladislav Bolkhovitin wrote:
> Nicholas,
>
> Could you stop spamming linux-kernel and linux-scsi mailing lists by
> patches for your out-of-tree LIO project, please?
>
> Those mailing lists are intended for patches for in-kernel components
> only, not for all out-of-tree projects, finding their ways into the
> mainline. I don't see any reason why your project should be an
> exception. Think, what a mess the kernel mailing lists would get, if all
> out-of-tree projects started sending their patches to them?

Actually, out of tree projects trying to make their way upstream are
welcome to use the various linux- mailing lists to solicit feedback and
review. This method was, for instance, how FCoE made it in.

> My personal practical concerns about your patches that they trigger my
> e-mail filters, so I have to spend on them much more time than I would want.

I've found that spamassassin does a good job of marking patches as non
spam. Also, if you're using zmailer, vger seems to have some type of
patch recognition system built in which might be worth co-opting.

James