Re: [GIT PULL -tip v3] fix 39 'make headers_check' warnings

From: Jaswinder Singh Rajput
Date: Sat Jan 24 2009 - 01:16:35 EST

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sam Ravnborg wrote:
>>>
>>> They are. This bits advertise to userspace what features kvm supports,
>>> both compile- and run-time.
>>>

>> This is wrong...
>> The headers does not change with the kernel configuration and advertising
>> the
>> kvm features via a .h file like this is simply plain broken.
>>

> Ok. Don't know why I thought unifdef was supplied with the full
> configuration.
>
>> You cannot assume that the header files are generated with the exact same
>> config
>> as used by the running kernel.
>>

> This is just for arch specific defines. I'll move these to asm/kvm.h.
>
>> And userspace has in no way access to the CONFIG_ namespace which is
>> purely kernel-internal.
>>
>> I cannot see how you have ever seen kcm advertise that for example
>> KVM_CAP_USER_NMI
>> equals to 22 because CONFIG_X86 is never (supposed to be) defined in
>> userspace -
>> except if you did so yourself by some means.
>>

> We did, we ship a hacked-up kvm.h (generated by unifdef) with our userspace.

latest -tip is still giving 'make headers_check' warnings:
usr/include/linux/kvm.h:61: leaks CONFIG_X86 to userspace where it is not valid
usr/include/linux/kvm.h:64: leaks CONFIG_X86 to userspace where it is not valid
usr/include/linux/kvm.h:387: leaks CONFIG_X86 to userspace where it
is not valid
usr/include/linux/kvm.h:391: leaks CONFIG_X86 to userspace where it
is not valid
usr/include/linux/kvm.h:396: leaks CONFIG_X86 to userspace where it
is not valid

So should I resend my patch or you are going to move this stuff

--
JSR