Re: [PULL -tip] fixed few make headers_check warnings

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Jan 15 2009 - 06:12:37 EST

* Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So when I see "capability.h: extern's make no sense in userspace" the
> perfect approach would be that the whole file was checked.
>
> This is a much bigger task that just removing the warning.

The problem is, you just littered the kernel with a ton of warnings and
declared that fixing them is a 'much bigger task'.

It's not good to start projects like this, because they simply never
finish. It's _much_ better to first reach a zero baseline via minimal
fixes, then enforce 'look at the whole thing' for all _NEW_ files and
changes.

That's how we are using checkpatch in the -tip topics, and it's working
very nicely.

Could we please start it like that?

Ingo